Get involved - join us
Membership of the Scarborough and District Beekeepers’ Association (SDBKA) is open to anyone keeping bees or having an interest in the craft of beekeeping. There are four categories of membership:
1. Full Membership - Subscription £33.00
Membership for active beekeepers. Benefits include:
- Registered Membership of both the British Beekeepers’ Association and the Yorkshire Beekeepers’ Association
- BBKA Membership Card
- Information and advice on beekeeping
- Public and Product Liability Insurance – up to £10 Millions (click here to see verification document)
- Monthly BBKA Membership Magazine - BBKA News
- Bi-monthly YBKA e-Newsletter
- Northern Bee Books Quarterly Newsletter
- Beekeeping Examinations to the highest level
- Representation at a National and International level
- Annual Spring Convention and Exhibition at Stoneleigh
- Audio Visual Aids and Slide Libraries
- Brood Diseases Insurance through BDI Ltd**
2. Partner Membership - Subscription £24.50
Membership for partners of Full Members, living at the same address.
Partner Membership is available to a partner, living at the same address as a BBKA Registered Full Member. Partner Members have all the rights of Full Membership but will share copies of BBKA and YBKA News with their Full Member partner. Sons and daughters may also benefit from this class, but they must be over the insurable age of 18. BDI is included in Partner Membership so that the Partner Member and Full Member jointly are insured for up to six colonies of bees. Additional colonies insurance would be taken out by the partner’s Full Member resident at the same address.
3. Country Membership - Subscription £21.50
Membership for those interested in Beekeeping and who wish to belong to the Association but who do not require BDI or BBKA Public and Product Liability Insurance.
Country Members will receive copies of BBKA and YBKA News.
4. Associate Membership - Subscription £10.00
Associate Membership, is suitable for those who either do not keep bees or who are full members of another Association. Associate members are not provided with either BBKA or BDI insurance but in all other respects have the benefits of being a member of the SDBKA. Associate Members will not be registered as beekeepers with the BBKA and will not receive BBKA or YBKA News.
The annual subscription is payable in advance and runs from October 1st to September 30th.
Our Winter Programme meetings incur an additional fee of £1 per meeting or £5 for all meetings paid in advance.
If you are interested in becoming a member of our association then please print a copy of our 2017 membership form and return it with a cheque for your subscription to:
The Treasurer SDBKA,
Alternatively, you may pay online by BACS to Sort Code: 402110 Account Number: 61081217
Brood Diseases Insurance (through BDI Ltd) covers losses due to notifiable bee diseases. Insurance for up to three colonies is included in your annual subscription. Members with more than three hives are required to increase the insurance component of their subscription as per the list below.
Beekeeping members can insure up to 39 colonies for the following premiums:
- 1 - 3 colonies - included in annual subscription
- 3 - 5 colonies - an additional £2.00
- 6 - 10 colonies - an additional £5.25
- 11 - 15 colonies - an additional £7.75
- 16 - 20 colonies - an additional £9.50
- 21 - 25 colonies - an additional £11.10
- 26 - 30 colonies - an additional £13.60
- 31 - 35 colonies - an additional £16.10
- 36 - 39 colonies - an additional £18.10
Those beekeepers wishing to insure 40 or more colonies, please consult the BDI Scheme B Manager.
Members are advised to read the terms and conditions of this insurance before subscribing to ensure that the cover and terms are appropriate for their situation.